List of Public Boarding Schools
There aren’t that many public boarding schools, less than 10% of schools are public.
Of the ones that are, they are usually very competitive. A lot of schools are tuition-free or only require a small fee for boarding.
As you scan the list, you’ll notice these state schools are setup to serve and promote a certain type of student or field: the blind and deaf, or the arts, math, science, and technology.
Please, contact us, if you know of any boarding schools we missed.
- Alabama School of Fine Arts – Grades 7-12
The Alabama School of Fine Arts, located in Birmingham, Alabama, is a co-educational public school for grades 7-12.
- School of Math & Science – Grades Secondary
The Alabama School of Math & Science is a high school for students who want to study advanced courses in math and science.
- Mt. Edgecumbe High School – Grades 9-12
Located in the city of Sitka, Mt. Edgecumbe High School is a public boarding school that educates hundreds of students in grades 9-12.
- Arkansas School for the Blind – Grades PK-12
The School for the Blind is located in Little Rock and was founded in 1859 by Reverend Haucke, a blind Baptist minister.
- Arkansas School for the Deaf – Grades PK-12
Established in 1850, the Arkansas School for the Deaf is a publicly funded school located in Little Rock, Arkansas and is accredited by AvancED.
- Illinois Math & Science Academy – Grades 10-12
The Illinois Math & Science Academy is a top public high school located in Aurora, Illinois, just 45 miles away from Chicago. The school is co-ed.
- Minnesota State Academies – Grades PK-12
Minnesota State Academies make up of two different schools. One of the schools is for children that are blind.
- Mississippi School for Math and Science – Grades 11-12
Mississippi School for Math and Science, also known as MSMS, is prestigious learning institution for gifted 11th and 12th graders.
- Mississippi School of the Arts – Grades 11-12
Mississippi School of the Arts (MSA) is located in Brookhaven and offer grades 11-12. Approximately sixty miles south of Jackson.
- NC School of Science and Math – Grades 11-12
Founded in 1980, the School of Science and Math, NC is located in Durham, NC. The school is a public high school that allows students to study a specialized curriculum.
- North Carolina School of the Arts – Grades 9-12
The UNC School of the Arts was founded in 1963. Today this publicly-funded school has over 1,100 students enrolled in grades 9-12, PG.
- School of Science and Math – Grades 11-12
Located very near the capitol building in the heart of Oklahoma City’s downtown, the OSSM is a very prestigious, publicly-funded, co-ed high school.
- Chemawa Indian School – Grades 9-12
Chemawa Indian School proudly serves as the oldest boarding school still in operation in the United States. Located near Salem, Oregon.
- Huntington School – Grades K-12
The Huntington School in Huntington, Oregon serves grades K-12, and features a dormitory for foreign exchange students.
- Mitchell School – Grades K-12
Mitchell School in Oregon is a small school. This is a boarding school, and there is an average of 60 students who stay on campus at a time.
- Oregon School for the Deaf – Grades K-12
Oregon School for the Deaf (OSD) is a coeducational public school for deaf students located in Salem, Oregon.
- Paisley School – Grades K-12
The Paisley School is a small charter school in Paisley, Oregon that serves students from K to 12. The dorm was built in the 1900’s.
- Spray School – Grades K-12
Spray School in Spray, Oregon is a school that houses grades K through 12. The current enrollment in Spray School is 44.
- Governor’s School for Science & Math – Grades 11-12
Governors School for Science and Mathematics of South Carolina is the all new innovative high school for those academically seeking studies in science and tech.
- Governor’s School for the Arts – Grades 11-12
Governor’s School for the Arts and Humanities’ philosophy is to foster an apprenticeship style of instruction in the arts.
- Tennessee School for the Deaf – Grades PK-12
Tennessee School for the Deaf is a boarding school located in Knoxville, TN. Established in 1844, it boasts of a low student to teacher ratio.
- Academy of Math & Science – Grades 11-12
Texas Academy of Math and Science is a residential private early college program located in the suburban area of Denton, Texas.
- The SEED School – Grades 6-12
The SEED School, Washington DC is one of the first public boarding schools in the nation. It is a tuition-free charter school that was opened in 1997.